Welcome! This page is for test centers and institutions new to administering iTEP. We’re thrilled to have you as part of our growing international community, and we hope you find iTEP to be the most user-friendly English test you have experienced. In fact, if you can think of a way to make it better, please tell us.
So, how does this work?
iTEP exams are delivered via the Internet at Certified iTEP Test Centers or the locations of clients who have purchased tests for their own use. The basic exams are also available in print. The grammar, listening, and reading sections are multiple-choice. For the writing section, the test-taker types directly into a text entry field. Speaking samples are recorded with a headset microphone connected to the computer.
Each section of the test lasts for a fixed amount of time. Test-takers who complete sections with time left may advance to the next section or review the previous section as follows:
- Reading and grammar: test-takers may use their extra time to review and revise any answers
- Listening: the listening selections play only once and cannot be reviewed
- Writing: there are fixed time limits for each part, but examinees may advance to the next section before time expires
- Speaking: these answers cannot be revised
The directions for each section are displayed for durations shown to be adequate for most test-takers. However, the directions for all test sections are available in the help menu, which the test-taker can access at any time.
OK let’s do this!
The guides below have been created to aid in setting up and administering iTEP. Please consult BES before you set up your computers to be sure that you are downloading the correct version of the software.
- iTEP Setup and Administration Guide for Windows users
- iTEP Setup and Administration Guide for Mac users
Technical FAQs and Troubleshooting
If you are experiencing any technical difficulties, please consult the iTEP Technical FAQs and Troubleshooting Manual.