The iTEP (International Test of English Proficiency) is the best way to assess the English proficiency of non-native speakers. The iTEP Academic and iTEP Business exams are specially tailored to test the skills needed for higher education and the workplace. iTEP SLATE (Secondary Level Assessment Test of English) is designed for young learners of English as a second language. The newest iTEP test, iTEP Hospitality, contains content and skill assessments specific for the hospitality industry. All four exams share the same intuitive structure, a standardized scoring rubric, and convenient administration procedures.
Here are a few reasons to choose an iTEP exam for your English language evaluation needs:
- On-demand Internet delivery provides maximum scheduling flexibility
- The exams evaluate reading, listening and grammar. The iTEP Plus series also evaluates speaking and writing
- The writing and speaking sections call for writing and speaking production from the test-taker
- Native English-speaking ESL trained professionals evaluate writing and speaking components
- The exams are administered in only 60 minutes (The iTEP Plus series lasts 90 minutes)
- iTEP test results are available immediately after the test. iTEP Plus results are available in five business days
- Detailed results closely reflect the user’s English level and register small improvements on repeated tests
- Results are presented on a clear, informative Official Score Report
- iTEP is affordably priced
All iTEP exams are delivered via the Internet at certified iTEP test centers or another secure location. The basic exams are also available in print. The reading, listening, and grammar sections are multiple-choice. For the writing section, the user types directly into a text entry field. Speaking samples are recorded with a headset microphone connected to the computer.
Each section has a time limit. If an examinee completes a section with time left, s/he may use the extra time to advance to the next section.
Each section has a fixed time allotted to it. If an examinee completes a section with time left, s/he may advance to the next section or review the previous section as follows:
- Reading and grammar: test-takers may use their extra time to review and revise any answers
- Listening: the listening selections play only once and cannot be reviewed
- Writing: there are fixed time limits for each part, but examinees may advance to the next section before time expires
- Speaking: these answers cannot be revised
The directions for each section are displayed for a set amount of time. This amount varies according to the amount of text and is adequate for most users. However, the directions for all test sections are available in the help menu, which the user can access at any time.
The test determines an overall proficiency level from 0 (beginner) to 6 (mastery), as well as individual proficiency levels from 0 to 6 for each of the skills tested. For greater accuracy, scores are also expressed in tenth-levels (2.1, 2.2, etc.).
- The reading, listening, and grammar sections are scored automatically by the computer
- The writing and speaking samples are evaluated according to standard criteria by trained ESL professionals who are native English speakers
- Each test section is weighed equally
- There is no penalty in the multiple-choice sections for incorrect answers
- The official score report presents an individual’s scoring information in both tabular and graphical formats. The graphical format, referred to as the Skill Profile, is particularly useful for displaying a user’s strengths and weaknesses in each of the skills evaluated by the test.
The levels identified by the iTEP exams may be expressed briefly as follows:
- Level 0.0 – 2.4: Beginner
- Level 2.5 – 3.4: Elementary
- Level 3.5 – 3.9: Intermediate
- Level 4.0 – 4.9: Upper Intermediate
- Level 5.0 – 5.9: Advanced
- Level 6.0: Mastery